As large scale events begin to start happening around the country, we are closely following what is being done; what is working and what is not working. As we continue planning for 2021, OYL is focused on ensuring the best experience possible with everyone’s safety at the forefront of every decision we make.
OYL will be working with USA Triathlon, city/county officials, and local health experts to ensure a safe event. All race crew, paid staff, and volunteers will be receiving specific training regarding the safety protocols surrounding the execution of our youth events.
Event participants and spectators will receive detailed information about the personal responsibilities and expectations. We expect everyone in attendance to follow any protocols that will be put into place throughout the event.
Our procedures and best practices will continue to evolve with the planning process. Because of this, the list below will continually be updated until the scheduled race date. In addition to the below safety protocols, we have developed a series of Event Scenarios to provide some insight into the methodology and potential event modifications based on the current situation.
- Pre-event screening of all staff, volunteers, and participants.
- Reduced touchpoints to minimize physical interaction and additional precautions for any areas where touchpoints cannot be avoided.
- Enhance safety and hygiene measures at packet pickup
- Additional hand sanitizer stations throughout the entire race site.
- Enhanced safety and hygiene practice for staff and volunteers including the use of gloves and masks.
- Event signage promoting safe hygiene practices and social distancing where applicable.
- Pre-event communication with questionnaire to ensure personal accountability when attending the event.
- Marking to provide visual reference in high traffic areas for social distancing.
- Coordinated event timing to increase athlete spacing at the start line and in transition.
- Increased hygiene practices for timing chip and strap collection.
- Dedicated staff whose sole responsibility will be monitoring and ensuring all safety procedures and safety protocols are adhered to.
Additional details about these protocols will be provided as the event approaches.